treadmill of life

“Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. ”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Are you running on the right track?   It seems that there are many people who are guessing which direction to go in life.   Some are just getting out of college and are now asking the questions, “where do I go from here?”   Others not quite out of college are asking, “where do I go from here?”

There are adults in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and beyond that are asking those same questions, “Am I on the right path?”   People are asking if they are going in the right direction in large numbers.   There is a general sense of dissatisfaction with life as it is.

There are people who have worked in a job for over 20 years and are now thinking this isn’t worth the price I pay to do this.   The stress is overwhelming, the pace is dragging people down and there are manager’s who are still living in yesterday’s paradigm and haven’t made the leap to leadership.

Disengaged, disenfranchised, lost, confused and wandering seems to be the story so many people are writing these days.   As the commercial says, “Want to get away?”, and there are many people who just want to get away.

What can you do if you are on a path that isn’t bringing you any joy or happiness?

Here are two ways to look at the problem.

1. Decide what you really want to do and do it.
2. Make the best of what you have now, make a choice to be happy.

Let’s talk about happiness for just a few minutes.

About 60% of our happiness comes from our genetic makeup and  our circumstances.  The remaining 40% comes from our choices.    That is if we can take the reins of our own thoughts we have the ability to create our happiness.  The belief that someone else can make you happy is an erroneous one, it is your choice to be happy or not.

Happy people choose to be grateful for what they have even in difficult circumstances.  People who are happiest tend to exercise, diet and get the right amount of sleep.

When I work with people with ADHD/ADD one of the things that comes up is their dissatisfaction with their current situation.  It is too stressful, too overwhelming,  and there are too many interruptions.    Inattention to what needs to be done is a stress point for people with ADHD and that alone lowers their happiness.   While most people can focus on a single thought, people with ADHD have a tendency to lose focus quickly and jump from thought to thought especially if there is any gap in what they are doing (listening to people speak is one of them,  slow speakers allow the thought of an ADHD person to wander away).    In other words the ADHD symptoms impact happiness and it takes more effort for those with ADHD see the greater happiness in their lives.

The point is if you aren’t happy with where you are in life you do have a choice.   You can make the choice to be happy in the current circumstances or you can change the circumstances.

What treadmill are you on?   Will you make a choice to be happy or do you want to make a change and find happiness?

Where do you want to run to?   What are you hoping to find?

 

Advertisements

3 responses to “treadmill of life

  1. About 60% of our happiness comes from our genetic makeup and our circumstances. The remaining 40% comes from our choices.

    I’m not so sure about that? I have always thought that people put to much into being happy. I think happiness is a feeling just like other feelings and it comes and goes. You are correct in being content where we are absolutely helps up to feel better, satisfied, and content. I also think that the way we react to circumstances makes a huge difference in our mood or feelings.
    interesting post, thanks.

    • There is research that supports the fact that 40% of happiness is choice, conscious or subconsciously. The research was done by Sonja Lyubomirsky and can be found in her book, “The how of happiness”.

      Will there be times when we are emotionally challenged by circumstances? Absolutely and there will be times when we aren’t going to “want” to feel happy. There are times it may be inappropriate to be happy. We can make those times short and restore our general sense of well being. Being resilient will help us in tough times and may lead to better outcomes (jobs, relationships, health, …).

  2. …..Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder management is the treatment options available to people with ADHD ..There are several effective and clinically proven options to treat people with ADHD. and specialized diets are sometimes used by people with ADHD with the intent to mitigate some or all of the symptoms. .Some people report short-term positive results using for treating ADHD and doctor David Bearman supported this treatment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s