“Those who do not have power over the story that dominates their lives, the power to retell it, rethink it, deconstruct it, joke about it, and change it as times change, truly are powerless, because they cannot think new thoughts.”
What is the truth about that quote you just read?
What is your story? What from your past great, exciting, memorable, fun or filled with happiness? Find two or three things from your past that you found some real enjoyment in and write those things down. To help fill out these sentence stems:
1. In the past I have really enjoyed _______________________________.
2. One of my most memorable events was __________________________.
3. My best day ever was ______________________________________.
4. My best day will be _______________________________________.
What is your story? What do you want your story to be?
If you story is currently not filling you with joy and happiness then maybe it is time to rewrite the upcoming pages in your journal of life.
Here are some ways to get back into your story. If you are feeling depressed, anxious, uncertain, worried, or you just don’t feel like you have much energy then take a moment and (turn off the TV, listen to the silence):
1. Stand up, yes stand up right now.
2. Take in a deep breath, in through the nose, make it deep, make it full, make it filling.
3. Let that breath out through the mouth and feel the air pass by your lips. Let it whoooooosh out of you.
2. OK, take another deep cleansing breath. Breath in deep, breath in long, fill up those lungs with air… all the way now. Fill and hold for a few seconds.
3. Let the air whoooooooosh out … feel it go, and push out the air that is at the bottom of the lungs, just let it all go out.
4. And one more time, let that living giving air in, in all the way.
5. Pause, and let it rush past your lips, feel that air move by and feel what it did for all the cells in your body. You cells were asking for oxygen, and you gave them something that they really needed.
With new air in your body see if you can create some new positive thoughts. Think about a favorite sunset, or a favorite bunch of flowers, or a favorite sceene. Imagine being there right now and watching that sceene unfold before your ideas. Feel the warm embrace of the wind and let the moment settle in around you like a light coat. Smell the fragrance of the flowers, let that smell linger right on the edge of your mind. Listen to the beating wings of a butterfly, hear the sounds, hear that gentle whisper.
Take in another deep breath, let the air flow in, let it flow in and then let out the air with a whoosh …. let it all go.
Now take a moment and smile, think about those times you have smiled before. What are the stories behind those smiles, those times of intense laughter. Live in those thoughts right now.
If you are creative take those thoughts and use them to make something new. Carve new words in a journal. Splash some color on a canvas or create something using your hands. Create something with your mind. Read something new. Try something new and start writing your story today.
Sunset Thinking by Marilyn Lott
Do you ever watch the sunset
And just sit and think about things
Just you and the sky and darkness
Giving your thoughts some wings
Perhaps you’ve got some troubles
And don’t know what to do
Or you just plain need to get away
To spend a little time with you
Sunset beauty makes you feel as though
Your life has meaning after all
To see a sight so extraordinary
Makes you feel capable, strong and tall
It’s funny how flashes of color
Like a sunset or sunrise can inspire
It can calm your inner self a bit
It’s a scene you can never tire
The serenity gives you a chance
To put things in perspective
Life can be overwhelming at times
And a sunrise can be reflective
So when the sky lights up next time
Let your gaze do some drinking
Soak up all the amazing sights
And do some sunset thinking!