“They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.”
― Tom Bodett
Happiness is a popular topic in the culture today. People are looking for ways to enjoy life. It is understandable when you see 50% of marriages failing, 71% of people are looking for new jobs, or for any job or are willing to accept a new job. There are a lot of things that steal energy from you that you have to deal with on a daily basis. Finding ways to reduce the energy thieves is going to help you experience more happiness on a daily basis.
What can you do to experience more happiness in your day-to-day life.
1. Find something that is positive in each day. Find two or three things that created a nice feeling for you. Write those things down.
2. Manage your time. Do what you can rather than trying to add too much to your schedule. We live in a world where everything seems like it needs to be done yesterday. Is that really the case? Give yourself more time.
3. Create an open space. This open space is a few minutes of time to do “nothing”. Just sit in a comfortable place, breathe and relax. Set a timer for 5 minutes and just step away from the noise, confusion and motion.
4. Exercise is one of the most important things that you can do to improve levels of happiness. The body in motion improves mood, improves health, improves mental clarity and improves well-being. If you don’t have a lot of time to move find a way to include movement in your day. Five minutes here and five minutes there can add up. Do something that increases your rate of breathing and boosts your heart rate.
5. Get enough sleep. The brain needs to rest. A happy brain will help you manage stress better, focus better, retain information better and it will help you feel better. Turn of the electronics 30 minutes for bed time. Clear your mind of all the noise and start to relax. If you have a lot of thoughts write them down. Create your plan for the next day and let your mind rest.
Five easy things to do to improve happiness. Add those into your life and your happiness will start to increase. Pay attention to your happiness. Give your day a happiness rating and see how it trends over time. Be kind to yourself and you’ll start seeing results soon.
If you have ideas on ways to improve happiness leave a comment. What works for you?
“Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen Hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.” — Mary Anne Radmacher … Continue reading
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. ”
Awareness. When did you become aware that you weren’t happy? When did you become aware that your job wasn’t as good as you hoped it would be? When did you become aware that your significant relationship wasn’t going where you had desired it would go? When did you become aware that your finances weren’t going to be enough? When did you first become aware?
Many people aren’t aware that they want to make a change or what to change. It isn’t as though they aren’t feeling comfortable with the way things are going, they aren’t comfortable but they aren’t aware of what they really want either.
You can be aware of pain but not aware of the source of pain and being aware allows you to look beyond the pain to the source of the pain.
There are two domains of awareness, your personal awareness or being self-aware and then external awareness which is knowing what is happening around you. When we are aware we see things differently. We pay more attention to the things in our environment. We notice noises, temperature, food, music, what we touch and more. We become more alive when we are aware. Sometimes that awareness is also frightening. We can also ignore what we don’t want to experience and that deadens our lives or pushes us into darkness.
Here’s a question you can answer to begin testing your awareness.
When you are at your best you are __________________________________ ?
Fill in the story. What did you notice? What did you feel or sense when you described your best?
Increase you awareness of the world around you by noticing the beauty that is nearby.
Write down 5 things that you see that are beautiful.
Now, write down 5 things about yourself that you appreciate.
What did you realize or learn as a result of becoming aware of you and your surroundings?
If you can control a mans thinking, you don’t have to worry about his actions. If you can determine what a man thinks you do not have worry about what he will do. If you can make a man believe that he is inferior, you don’t have to compel him to seek an inferior status, he will do so without being told and if you can make a man believe that he is justly an outcast, you don’t have to order him to the back door, he will go to the back door on his own and if there is no back door, the very nature of the man will demand that you build one. Carter G. Woodson